iPad offer to care homes
As part of the COVID-19 winter 2020 to 2021 support plan for adult social care, NHSX gifted 11,000 iPads to care homes to help residents receive ongoing care and stay connected to loved ones.
Care homes were invited to apply for the offer in autumn 2020. iPads have now been allocated and delivered to care homes identified as most in need according to our eligibility criteria.
The iPads are helping staff in care homes to:
- hold video consultations with health and care professionals
- connect care home residents with loved ones remotely
- get direct access to any other tools or systems needed to support the care of residents
- use NHSmail - a secure NHS internal email service
We have also included a data-enabled SIM card with each iPad, free of charge for 12 months. This means that homes will be able to use the devices even if they do not currently have access to a stable WiFi connection throughout their building
iPad support package
We are helping staff in care homes to set up and use the iPads by providing:
- step-by-step guidance on how to set up the iPads
- technical support through a helpline and service desk, provided by Jigsaw24
- support through the Digital Social Care website, including access to set up video tutorials
- weekly set-up and troubleshooting webinars, run by Digital Social Care
- support with using NHSmail, MS Teams and other applications on the iPads
Our ongoing work
Before the start of the pandemic, NHSX had already been working with NHS Digital to improve access to the internet in care homes and had negotiated a range of connectivity offers to help staff in care homes and their residents to stay connected.
Our colleagues in NHS Digital and the health and care sector have also been providing digital and technical advice and guidance to care providers to support care giving.
We are continuing to help care homes access digital tools and services. If you would like to be informed about any future offers from NHSX, please register your details and share your comments.